- About Us
- Society Members Only
- Contact Us
Danger Island Cruise
May 24 - May 27Free
Memorial Day Weekend is time for the Danger Island Cruise.
To celebrate Memorial Day, a portion of Cayo Costa will be transformed into CMCS’s “Danger Island”. It’s a magical place where there is Black Tie Croquet, and the Club’s Signature Chowder Contest. The Governor may issue decrees for other fabulous activities as well.
Volunteer to be this year’s Cruise Leaders!
Danger Island is located on the sandspit at the entrance to Pelican Bay. If you have never been to this area, check out the Pelican Bay Anchorage Chart. CMCS boats monitor channel 72, so if you need help with directions hail one of our members.
Here is a very loose schedule of events for the weekend:
- Friday – Happy hour on the Danger Island sand spit about 5:00pm, followed by BBQ prepared on your propane or charcoal grill. Please bring a side dish to share. If you don’t have a grill, someone will al- ways share. All events will be on the spit, not Dog Beach.
- Saturday – 10:00 am The Prestigious Black Tie Croquet Tournament. A tie, string, rope, scarf or anything black around your neck is the #1 rule to participate in this event. You cannot play without it.
- 5:00 pm—thunderstorms permitting—THE CMCS GRAND CHOWDER CONTEST BEGINS (Rules: Anything you say is chowder is CHOWDER!!) The chowder will be judged on Best Tasting and Best Presentation, so set up your decorated tables, dress up, play music, be unique and have fun. May the tastiest and most crea- tive win! Votes will be with dollar bills so bring lots of cash! Proceeds will go to “Friends of Cayo Costa State Park”.
- Sunday – Today is a day to relax and unwind. Cayo Costa has a beautiful beach on the gulf side. You can dinghy in to the dock and catch the tram over to the gulf. There is a nominal fee for Cayo Costa State Park. A dinghy ride to Cabbage Key for lunch is another option, or just have some R & R on your boat.
- 5:00pm Happy hour and snacks on the Danger Island sand spit. Before returning to our boats, a quick clean-up of the area.
- If Carolyn Wilson or Kerry Corbett are joining us on this cruise we can look forward to the playing of the bag- pipes at sunset. Conch horns are always welcome.
- Monday– Weigh anchor for home or off to another adventure, or just stick around for a while!
What To Bring To Danger Island:
- Please fly your CMCS burgee, we want to get to know all the new boats in the club.
- Chairs and beach umbrellas are a must, there is no shade on Danger Island.
- Coolers, sunscreen, bug spray, a trash bag, flashlight and a hat. Lots of water, especially if you are bring- ing your pet
- BBQ grill for Friday night and a side dish to share.
- Registration and life vests for your Dinghy